We welcome the Talon 1000R, a Sports SXS ideal for high speeds and open terrain, chock-full of technical innovation and legendary Honda quality. From the minute you buckle in, it will amaze you.
The Talon R shines in high-speed driving associated with open terrain found throughout the country, including deserts, salt flats and pastures. Suspension design and components are set up for big air and hitting obstacles at velocity. For wide-open adventurists, the Talon R is ready for anything the horizon offers.
The 999cc four-valve Unicam® parallel-twin engine is a performance-tuned version of the platform from the durable Pioneer 1000 multipurpose side-byside and CRF1000L Africa Twin adventure motorcycle. Developed in Japan by Honda Motor, and produced at the Kumamoto plant, the water-cooled engine features a 270 degree crossplane crankshaft.
• 999cc Unicam® parallel-twin engine, performance-tuned for strong torque and linear power delivery
• 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with high-low sub-transmission and automatic and manual modes
• Ignition Feedback Control for faster gear changes
• Piston oil jets for cool engine temperature and engine longevity
• Oversized radiator and fan and tuned intake and exhaust for performance and sound quality
The Talon feature a frame and suspension components that were engineered and developed at Honda R&D America’s Raymond, Ohio, campus, for a plush ride, maximum ground clearance and precise steering response. A 44% front-end weight bias is ideal for handling and a balanced feel as well as automotive-industry design concepts that bring a new level of engineering to the category. The Talon 1000Rs suspension and wheelbase are intended to emphasize high-speed tracking and large bump absorption; suitable for a broad range of terrain types.
The all-new, one-piece frame was designed and developed incorporating Honda’s vast off-road design knowledge to achieve optimum handling properties by maintaining appropriate levels of stiffness and compliance to retain consistent geometry even when pushed under the hardest loads. As a result, the vehicle behaves and responds predictability for a more controlled, confidence-inspiring ride. In addition, the frame undergoes a state-of-the-art process that includes an e-coat dip, oven baking, powdercoat spraying, and another oven bake, all of which guarantee the quality of the paint and ensure the rust-prevention needs are met.
• Double-wishbone front suspension, Fox Podium 2.5 shocks with Quick Switch 3; 449 mm of travel
• 4+ Link trailing-arm rear suspension with toe link, Fox Podium 2.5 shocks with Quick Switch 3; 510mm of travel
• 44% front weight bias for balanced handling
The Talon’s silhouette is low, and minimization of bulk was a focus during development. (Approximately 25% of the vehicle’s mass was shed during the design evolution.) Knowing the rigors through which customers would put the Talon, designers stressed efficient engine cooling, with motorcycle-inspired shrouds and four side vents, all of which are unique to the side-by-side world. The roof, which comes standard on the Talon, incorporates a front lip to keep moisture from reaching the interior (even when braking in rainy conditions), and a horizontal pass-through slit both creates a functional spoiler (providing downforce at higher speeds) and allows appropriate aerodynamics when the vehicle is towed on a trailer, whether it’s facing forward or backward.
• On-the-fly changing between 2WD and 4WD via dash-mounted switch that operates at any engine speed
• Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) for stability under braking
• Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) directs torque to wheels that have the most grip
• Hill Start Assist (HSA)
• Centre console and creature comfort dual cockpits
• Driveshaft boot protectors
• Comfortable, weather-resistant supportive seats
• Clutch temperature warning light
• LED Headlights with high/low beam and 12V accessory adapter is standard